POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 1 Dec 2011 18:10:35
Message: <4ed8096b@news.povray.org>
On 12/1/2011 2:11 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> The point is: instead of calling it impossible just to look like a
>> dumbass, try to use the software for a while to get the hang of it.
>
> The point is: I said it's not possible for a piece of software to
> magically tile any possible image seemlessly. If you're saying that a
> piece of software with an expert to work it can sometimes do a good job,
> that's a different statement. I can see how that might be quite
> possible. (Though it still sounds pretty difficult...)

I'm *far* from an expert in image editing, and I didn't do anything to
make that image that a pure beginner couldn't get the hand of in a few
hours, and I did it with only free softwars.

In addition, I'm not sure what point you're making.  Depending on what
you mean by "seamlessly tileable" it's probably wither trivial or
*obviously* impossible to convert an image into tileable form.  But
nobody here is claiming that you can tile *every* image automatically.
What people are claiming is:

1) It's not that hard to do it manually in most cases
2) For many images you can indeed tile them automatically

As an illustration of (2), I've attached a tileable image that I created
in GIMP with about two button clicks and no manual editing.  Can you
spot the seams?

As a meta-comment you have a tenancy to declare things "impossible" when
you merely cannot see a way to achieve them.  Given that your
assessments are not infrequently wrong in this regard, you might benefit
from being less defeatist and more curious when you don't see how
something can be done.  Just my opinion though, you're obviously free to
disregard it as bunk.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'small_beach_pebbles_tileable.jpg' (511 KB)

Preview of image 'small_beach_pebbles_tileable.jpg'
small_beach_pebbles_tileable.jpg