POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Dec 2011 11:06:12
Message: <4ed7a5f4$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/12/2011 03:23 PM, nemesis wrote:
> Invisible escreveu:
>> I've used the Gimp. Everybody claims it's this insanely powerful
>> product. Personally, I can't get it to do anything vaguely useful...
>> If there /are/ powerful features in there, they are very well hidden.
>
> 1. open gimp
> 2. search on google images for "pebbles"
> 3. choose some interesting result, such as this
> http://www.stonetohome.com/media/gbu0/prodlg/Pentland%20Pebbles.jpg
> 4. copy the image
> 5. ctrl+v in Gimp
> 6. Filters -> Map -> Make Seamless
> http://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-make-seamless.html
> 7. Filters -> Map -> Tile, choosing Unit % and a value such as 200 or
> 400 http://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-tile.html

Interesting. As I expected, it doesn't actually produce a very
convincing effect; it merely wraps the image, and then does some
cross-fading. The result is a very visible transition. (Still, at least
they made it circular, eh?)

I still don't see how it's possible to take an arbitrary image and make
it properly seamless.

As an aside, I'd never noticed the Filter menu before. There's quite a
lot of stuff in there...

> is this more challenging than writing a Haskell monad?

What's so hard about that?