POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Dec 2011 09:36:25
Message: <4ed790e9$1@news.povray.org>
>> POV-Ray makes nice stone textures (unless you're a geologist) and wood
>> textures (unless you're a dendrologist). Last time I checked, there's no
>> way of making a canvas texture or a wet paper texture or a spilled paint
>> texture or...
>
> By playing with gradient and checker textures, I'm sure you could come
> up with a decent canvas texture in less than half an hour.

Off you go then. :-)

>> Somebody somewhere must actually /teach/ graphic design skills...
>
> If you are talking about the technical ability to perform a task? yes.
> Many schools, do teach those.
>
> However, if you are talking about the artistic ability to come up with a
> concept, then this is a little more difficult to teach.

I expect that most things of this type are part-science and part-art.
Most people would probably think that computer programming is purely a
technical skill, but surely there is an art to being a good programmer
as well. But yes, art is definitely harder to teach!

> But in order to
> be able to do it, you must first rid your mind of all those negative
> preconceptions. Let the creative energy flow through you. If it ends up
> looking like crap, then throw it away, but don't hold yourself from
> trying because "It's going to look like crap!".

Trouble is, I just end up doing the whole "staring at a blank page"
thing. I don't create anything. There's no algorithm for inventing new
things, which is probably why I suck at it...

> Geez, I really sound like Yoda!

Now *that* is a saleable skill! :-D