POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 1 Dec 2011 09:34:22
Message: <4ed7906e$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2011-12-01 09:24, Invisible a écrit :

>>> I spent a whole year learning diabolo. Hint: doing that doesn't cost any
>>> money. I would think there can't be too many people who can just afford
>>> to blow $8,000 on buying some images just to enter a competition.
>>
>> Someone who sees it as an investment to pad his or her portfolio and
>> resume, in order to get more web design clients?
>
> $8,000 is more money than I have ever owned at any time in my entire
> life. (I just changed the exchange rate. On 8 Nov 2007, that would have
> been £3795.07 - and that's the lowest it's been in the last 10 years.)
>
> Would you seriously take out a 5-year loan just to afford some pictures
> to put together a website that *might* get you a few more orders?

If that's what it took to get my business off the ground and earn a
living, probably.

>>> What makes you think there will be anything with acceptable licensing
>>> terms?
>>
>> Because I've used some. There's lots of stuff on Flickr with Creative
>> Commons licences, you just have to look for it.
>
> In my limited experience, the stuff on Flickr is no better than the
> rubbish I could shoot myself.

Ah. So based on a limited experience, you have dismissed an entire pool
of possible pictures.  Gotcha.

>>> It's empty?
>>
>> You don't own a digital camera?
>
> No, I just don't put the pictures in the My Little Pony folder. But
> regardless, no photo I have ever taken is even remotely good enough to
> be used in an art project.

Says who?  Some people have gotten very famous painting soup cans...

>>> Well /obviously/ people can make money out of it, given that very few
>>> people are good at it. That's not really relevant to my point - a
>>> typical person wanting to put a website [or other publication] together
>>> can't access beautiful calligraphy. :-P
>>
>> Sure they can. If they are unable to write it themselves, there's bound
>> to be someone in their immediate surroundings who is.
>
> Given that calligraphy is a rare skill, the idea that there's "bound to
> be" someone "in their immediate surroundings" seems rather questionable...

Cousins?  Neighors?  Coworkers?  Friends?  People in your dance classes?

Do you know for a fact that all of these people can only produce chicken
scratches, or have you already decided that only Tibetan monks with a
life to spare can achieve decent results, based on your limited experience?