POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 1 Dec 2011 09:13:01
Message: <4ed78b6d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2011-11-30 09:50, Invisible a écrit :

>>> Sure. But it's damned expensive. Would you really do that just to enter
>>> a little competition for fun?
>>
>> It's not like you trained week after week after week to enter a dance
>> competition, right? I mean, who would do that for fun? ;)
>
> I spent a whole year learning diabolo. Hint: doing that doesn't cost any
> money. I would think there can't be too many people who can just afford
> to blow $8,000 on buying some images just to enter a competition.

Someone who sees it as an investment to pad his or her portfolio and
resume, in order to get more web design clients?

>> Alternately, you can browser image hosting sites and look for images
>> which have licencing terms that meet your needs.
>
> What makes you think there will be anything with acceptable licensing
> terms?

Because I've used some.  There's lots of stuff on Flickr with Creative
Commons licences, you just have to look for it.

>> Or browse through your
>> "My Pictures" folder. Most people will have something interesting in
>> there.
>
> It's empty?

You don't own a digital camera?  Sometimes, just a regular picture of
Grandma at her birthday can tunr out to be very interesting...

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1001/1352236849_b85aee03f5_z.jpg?zz=1

[Ed: My Flickr stream is still set to "all rights reserved", mainly
because I haven't asked my family if they wanted to have their face
plastered all over the Internet, also because I'm lazy)

>>> Indeed. It's a skill few people have.
>>
>> Yet, strangley enough, most people who make a living out of it are
>> rather good at it. It's almost as if there was some sort of relationship
>> between the two!
>
> Well /obviously/ people can make money out of it, given that very few
> people are good at it. That's not really relevant to my point - a
> typical person wanting to put a website [or other publication] together
> can't access beautiful calligraphy. :-P

Sure they can.  If they are unable to write it themselves, there's bound
to be someone in their immediate surroundings who is.  You'd be
surprised to find that - even in a lab full of boring scientists, or
telecom engineers - many people have artistic hobbies.  Especially since
the advent of scrapbooking.

Case in point: the very people in this newsgroup are mostly nerds, and
some of us DO produce amazing art pieces.