POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Dec 2011 05:02:10
Message: <4ed750a2$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/12/2011 03:36 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 12:39, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Sure. But it's damned expensive. Would you really do that just to enter a
>> little competition for fun?
>
> You're missing the point. "Creative Commons" is the GPL of artwork.
> There's a bunch of stuff you can use free, or you can use if you credit
> the author, or etc.

And you're saying stuff like that actually exists in the real world, and
some of it is actually good quality?

>> I can't figure out how it's even possible in theory.
>
> I had to google around for about 15 minutes before I found an actual
> explanation, rather than someone just saying "use the photoshop filter".

Because, of course, everybody can afford Photoshop(r)... Oh, wait...

> Basically, you rotate the image 50% left and 50% up. (And by "rotate" I
> mean it in the shift-pixels-left-wrap-around-at-edge sense, not the
> how-many-degrees sense.)
>
> Now your edges match up, right? Yep!
>
> Now fix the seams in the middle.

I still don't see how you can "fix" the seems. It's not like you can
move individual blades of grass around.

>>> http://darren.s3.amazonaws.com/Seamless/album/index.html
>>
>> Seemless?
>
> I don't know what that means.

I mean most of the pictures I looked at have fairly obvious rough edges
where the seems don't line up.

>> I gather this is called a "handwaving argument".
>
> No, it's called being amused by you complaining about making textures in
> a newsgroup run by people who make the best texture-creator in the
> world. :-)

POV-Ray makes nice stone textures (unless you're a geologist) and wood
textures (unless you're a dendrologist). Last time I checked, there's no
way of making a canvas texture or a wet paper texture or a spilled paint
texture or...

>>> That's possible too. It takes practice, is all. Not that I'm any good at
>>> it, but I'm a lot better than I used to be.
>>
>> There must be some kind of trick to it.
>
> Just education and practice. Like there's a "trick" to debugging a program.

Somebody somewhere must actually /teach/ graphic design skills...

Then again, I spent 6 months at drawing classes, and I still can't draw.
So maybe it's just that only a tiny fraction of the population will ever
be good at graphic design?