POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:29:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Nov 2011 22:36:33
Message: <4ed6f641$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/29/2011 12:39, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Sure. But it's damned expensive. Would you really do that just to enter a
> little competition for fun?

You're missing the point. "Creative Commons" is the GPL of artwork. There's
a bunch of stuff you can use free, or you can use if you credit the author,
or etc.

> I can't figure out how it's even possible in theory.

I had to google around for about 15 minutes before I found an actual
explanation, rather than someone just saying "use the photoshop filter".

Basically, you rotate the image 50% left and 50% up. (And by "rotate" I mean
it in the shift-pixels-left-wrap-around-at-edge sense, not the
how-many-degrees sense.)

Now your edges match up, right?  Yep!

Now fix the seams in the middle.

>> http://darren.s3.amazonaws.com/Seamless/album/index.html
>
> Seemless?

I don't know what that means.

> I gather this is called a "handwaving argument".

No, it's called being amused by you complaining about making textures in a
newsgroup run by people who make the best texture-creator in the world. :-)

>> That's possible too. It takes practice, is all. Not that I'm any good at
>> it, but I'm a lot better than I used to be.
>
> There must be some kind of trick to it.

Just education and practice. Like there's a "trick" to debugging a program.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)