POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Graphic design : Re: Graphic design Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphic design
From: clipka
Date: 29 Nov 2011 17:04:51
Message: <4ed55703$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.11.2011 21:34, schrieb Orchid XP v8:
>>> - Many designs have photographs of cinematic locations, exotic flora and
>>> fauna, historic artefacts or beautiful female models. Normal people
>>> cannot obtain such things.
>>
>> Oh really?
>>
>> You've obviously never visited services like http://www.fotolia.com then.
>
> Well no - I can't afford such things. I mean, sure, if some big
> corporation is paying, then you can afford to buy artwork. But if it's
> just you, it's not really feasible.

Um... what? Did you even have a look at the prices? Of course, if you
change your mind about your home page design every other week, things
might become a bit costly after all ;-)

Note that they make their images available (at low quality) without
payment as a "tryout", so that you can toy around and experiment with
the design before you settle for anything to pay for.

If you really want your homepage to look good, I guess some $30 isn't
such a huge investment (heck, it's just half a hyped computer game),
which at this particular site can buy you e.g. one image at a resolution
of 1600x1200 for the background, plus some 6-20 additional pieces of
decorative artwork at resolutions of 400x300 to 800x600. (Note that for
your website to look good, you want a consistent layout, so you don't
need a gazillion of different backgrounds.)

>>> I suppose we can sum all this up as "I really suck at graphic design".
>>> :-(
>>
>> Yes, apparently :-P
>
> ...and the list of things I suck at gets slightly longer... :'{

Hm, let's see what I suck at...

- Basketball, soccer, hockey, handball, boxing, and plenty other contact
sports too numerous to mention; as well as running, jumping, throwing
(ball, discus, spear, whatever), or any other kind of athletics; skiing,
skating, swimming, golfing; bowling, tennis, squash; boxing, karate,
judo, or any martial arts you could name; I actually even suck at the
few types of sports I do like, compared with people who make a living of
it or even just do it as their primary hobby.

- Playing a church organ, saxophone, violin, flute, and enough other
instruments to fill an orchestra or two...

- Dancing rock & roll, foxtrot, tango, and actually any dance you name
except maybe the simplest of waltz...

- Sales & purchase, or anything else that requires trying to make a good
deal without admitting it.

- Quantum mechanics, string theory, cosmology, statistics and plenty of
other maths & physics stuff, even though I'm pretty interested in it.

- Painting with oil, acrylic, aquarell or water colors; sculpting;
depicting humans or animals; cubism, expressionism, impressionism,
pointillism, surrealism, and probably any other style except naive.

- Linux system administration; function-oriented software development;
web design & programming.

- Dog, cat or bird breeding; horse riding; collecting stamps, coins,
fossils, minerals or butterflies; gardening; ham radio operation;
sailing; gliding; car tuning; hiking; free climbing; archery; wild game
hunting; experimental archaeology; ...

- Heart surgery; metallurgy; meteorology; architecture; bricklaying,
welding; ...

Thinking about it, I guess I suck at more than 99% of all recreational,
professional or other activities in existence. And I guess that actually
everyone on earth does.