POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I give up rendering... : Re: I give up rendering... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I give up rendering...
From: Warp
Date: 26 Nov 2011 07:32:17
Message: <4ed0dc51@news.povray.org>
Roman Reiner <lim### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > One thing where the real-time engine has an "unfair" advantage is that
> > the radiosity is pre-calculated [...]

> No it's not. Cryengine3 renders global illumination in real-time!

  Since all the lighting in the titanic scene is static, calculating
lighting dynamically is an enormous waste of resources. That exact same
scene could be rendered just with static lightmaps. (Turning lights on
and off does not require dynamic lightmaps, it just requires switching
between alternate sets of precalculated lightmaps.)

--
                                                          - Warp