POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I give up rendering... : Re: I give up rendering... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I give up rendering...
From: Warp
Date: 25 Nov 2011 09:59:01
Message: <4ecfad35@news.povray.org>
jhu <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IKqjb9TRY&feature=colike

> This is the Titanic recreated in Cryengine 3. Holy crap! And it's better than
> what I can do in Povray...

  Actually it doesn't look like it would be too hard to render any of those
frames with POV-Ray if you had the models, textures and light settings.
It's just that POV-Ray wouldn't be able to render it nearly as fast (we
are probably talking about several orders of magnitude).

  One thing where the real-time engine has an "unfair" advantage is that
the radiosity is pre-calculated, while POV-Ray has no direct support for
precalculating polygon-based radiosity. OTOH, if you also had the lightmaps,
I think it would be possible to kludge them to work with POV-Ray as well,
greatly speeding up the rendering (because then you wouldn't have to use
any kind of radiosity calculations at all).

  Where POV-Ray could beat the engine in terms of accuracy is in refractions
and reflections from non-flat surfaces (and maybe even from flat ones).

--
                                                          - Warp