POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Web frameworks : Re: Web frameworks Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Web frameworks
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 24 Nov 2011 08:59:26
Message: <4ece4dbe@news.povray.org>
Le 2011-11-21 04:31, Invisible a écrit :

> To this day I have never yet seem a firewall which blocks *outbound*
> traffic. So I don't see why this would even be an issue.

That's because you haven't seen many firewalls!

At my current place of employment, there are three different layers of
firewalls between the user environment and the public Internet.  not
only do each layer block unauthorized traffic in both directions, there
isn't even a default route out to the Internet.  You need to talk to the
proxy server infrastructure, and it only accepts specific ports.

And looking in the other direction, there are also firewalls between the
labs, UAT environments, and regular network, as well as protecting the
mainframes from the unwashed masses.

For B2B extranets, it's even more prevalent. There, firewalls will
usually also be very strict in what they allow out, because the last
thing you want is a letter from the legal dept. of Boeing, NASA, or say,
the London Stock Exchange saying you are trying to infect their network
with bots.

>>> why Hotmail got started. (And as best as I can tell, that's where this
>>> whole crazy idea originated.)
>>
>> Nah. There were lots of systems putting apps over http because it would
>> go thru firewalls long before anyone tried to reimplement stuff that
>> everyone already had software for like email.
>
> Really?

RealPlayer and ICQ, both of which predate Hotmail, are the first I came
across that did that, I'm sure there were others.