POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alea Iacta Est : Re: Alea Iacta Est Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:29:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alea Iacta Est
From: clipka
Date: 23 Nov 2011 08:39:23
Message: <4eccf78b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.11.2011 09:43, schrieb Thomas de Groot:

> I must say that this is the best isosurface to mesh patch I have seen
> until now, and fast too. Congrats with that Christoph!

Um... I think we have a misunderstanding here: The patch I wrote does
the blurred reflections (and auto-adjustment of specular highlight
parameters to match the reflections). The isosurface to mesh conversion
was done with some classic SDL-based isosurface-to-mesh converter by...
let me see... there: Kevin Loney, Jaap Frank & Tor Olav Kristensen
(Kudos to them).

> I can live with a full-blown rendering patch, but any reason you can
> give us why not in 3.7?

As for the blurred reflections, they need serious oversampling, and may
lead to bright speckles otherwise; Therefore some mechanisms need to be
implemented for the feature to work stand-alone (currently I have to use
focal blur to achieve the oversampling) which will make it a piece of
cake to also add a stochastic implementation for what's currently done
by radiosity.