POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Indoor / Outdoor illumination : Re: Indoor / Outdoor illumination Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Indoor / Outdoor illumination
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Nov 2011 03:04:31
Message: <4ecb578f$1@news.povray.org>
On 22-11-2011 0:16, Robert McGregor wrote:
> Stephen<mcavoys_at@aoldotcom>  wrote:
>> Excellent!
>
> I agree, this is a really nice scene, Thomas. A couple of things that catch my
> eye as being too "CG" are:

Thanks indeed, Robert!

> * the perfectly straight arch edges; a little beveling and random vertex
> displacement would bring those to life a lot more.

Yes, that is still something to work on. There is so much on the list to
bring the scene to life that it got snowed under so to speak ;-)

> * the bumpiness of the tile floor in the bright light seems overly displaced,
> like I might stub my toe or cut my foot if walking in there barefoot.

No bumpiness here. The tiles are perfectly smooth. What you refer to is
probably the tile texture getting deformed by perspective towards the
back. Not much that can be done. It is the same with the classic
checkered plane.

> That said, the composition, textures and lighting are great. The curtain
> modeling, texturing, and translucency are perfect, and the background walls and
> ground textures are quite realistic.

Thanks again. I really am learning each day and making progress I guess.
I am slowly building a set of tools and techniques that I can vary
endlessly, or so I hope.

> And thanks for the sanity tip about a bike tour. Wonderful idea; I could use
> that myself...

Yes it is quite useful. It is a "therapy" I practise myself almost on a
daily basis (bikes are still the usual transport means for many people
in this country). I am told it is often advised here to help treat
depression, along with walking. What Cousin Ricky said about cognition
is part of this process. In fact, it is the moderate physical effort
which is important here. Exertion or heavy sports are certainly not
recommended.

Thomas