POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The police in the United States : Re: The police in the United States Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The police in the United States
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Nov 2011 16:21:18
Message: <4ec96f4e$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/20/2011 2:20 AM, andrel wrote:
> On 19-11-2011 7:38, Darren New wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I think what you're seeing with the cops now has much longer been
>> the case with prison guards and such. I don't think anyone ever
>> considered prison guards to be kind and caring to those in their
>> institutions.
>>
> Is privatization also a piece of the puzzle?
> AFAIK some/many/all(?) prisons a run by private companies. The US also
> privatized part of the military operation in Iraq, which also did not
> contribute to the ethical behaviour of 'soldiers'.
> Are parts of the US police tasks also privatized nowadays?

The only "growth sector" in California during this depression has been
private jails. The #1 place, other than the jails, to which money from
this has gone as been into lobbying for more, and higher, mandatory jail
time, even for minor offenses, in California. Arizona is pulling the
same crap, with private prisons, and I am fairly sure its a trend in any
number of other places too. So... You can take from that what you will.

As for the police... LA hasn't exactly had a huge positive association
with "fair" or "uncorrupt" cops, and there is two reasons: 1. A lot of
them are, and 2. Enough of them seem to be, even from the view of other
cops, in other places, that it would be nearly impossible to replace all
of them. How much of that is rumor, and how much truth, is uncertain,
but there is a reason why phrases like, "driving while black" (and
others), originated in LA, and its not because there are more slums
there than in say Chicago, or NY.