POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The police in the United States : Re: The police in the United States Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:30:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The police in the United States
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Nov 2011 01:38:40
Message: <4ec74ef0$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/18/2011 8:07, Warp wrote:
>    There are people who have claimed for years that the average American
> policeman is corrupt.

I think this is (A) a relatively newer phenomenon, and (B) a problem that
even the honest police don't report the bad apples.

I.e., I don't remember hearing anything like "the usual police brutality"
until maybe 10 years ago here, and certainly nobody was afraid of police
when I was growing up. I don't know whether to attribute it to me just
paying more attention or to the police actually going downhill in terms of
being good police. Certainly there was a lot of talk of "community policing"
which meant the police living where they worked, knowing the people who live
there, etc.

Certainly the whole Rodney King beating was astoundingly brutal and all
that, where as nowadays such a thing would be seen as business-as-usual by many.

I think as the economy has gotten harsher and the politicians have gotten
bolder in their disregard of the law, the brutality and such has trickled down.

The other problem is that police who do this sort of thing aren't
disciplined by their "brothers in blue." It's a bit understandable, as you
really don't want to be squealing on the guy who tomorrow might have to save
your life. So now people are thinking even the average cops are bad cops,
because they're defending the bad cops even if they're not doing bad things
themselves.

FWIW, I think what you're seeing with the cops now has much longer been the
case with prison guards and such. I don't think anyone ever considered
prison guards to be kind and caring to those in their institutions.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)