POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I would agree with most or all the employment advice herein: : Re: I would agree with most or all the employment advice herein: Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I would agree with most or all the employment advice herein:
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Nov 2011 04:21:00
Message: <4ec6237c$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/11/2011 03:34 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 11/16/2011 13:56, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> to buy 10 more PCs, does that go to the admin office cost center? Or
>> does it
>
> That's why accounting at a big company like AT&T or something is hugely
> complex. Don't forget that depreciation comes in there too, which tells
> you who gets billed for it if you change which profit center it is
> helping half way through the life of the cost, amongst other things.

The fun thing, of course, is that *computers* depreciate in a vertical
downward line. Almost as soon as you take the computer out of the box,
80% of its value has vanished. By this time next year, it will
essentially be a very expensive doorstop. It must make accountants' hair
tingle!

>> As I understand it, a "technical startup" is a polite way of saying "you
>> will be paid peanuts and in three months' time you will be unemployed
>> again
>> because the company has been liquidated".
>
> Only if you're naive enough to work for one like that. Some are indeed
> like that, and they suck in many who have never worked for one like that
> who believe the promises. On the other hand, if the start-up you're
> going to isn't inventing something that *you* think will be wildly
> successful (e.g., "We invented mind reading computers"), then you should
> be getting paid even more salary than you would be working a normal 9-5
> job, *plus* some options. I.e., treat options as a nice bonus, not as
> part of your salary.

Personally, I'd prefer job security. But apparently that's just me...

(Did you know, there are people who actually work FOR THEMSELVES? Crazy,
crazy people...)