POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it! : Re: Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:27:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Nov 2011 03:05:49
Message: <4ec611dd$1@news.povray.org>

> I tried this (see below) - and simply was stunned: few artifacts and
> FAST! However, one problem remains: increasing gray_threshold doesn't
> help this time, the shadows remain bluish! Where do I find a 3.7 manual
> to look it up (no, I don't have the Windows version)?

The bluish hue comes from the sky. I think that in RL the same happens,
only we unconsciously compensate for it :-) In my image this also
happens by the way. Like me, you can reduce its effect by (1) creating
(e.g. white) objects around your house, blocking the horizon and part of
the sky. Where they are not visible by the camera, simple screens may
do. This is a simple trick I learned from Hildur by the way.
Alternatively, you can make the sky less blue; (2) you can increase the
light's intensity which will drown out the sky hue to some measure; (3)
If you want to use the LightSys IV system you can control the way in
which horizon and/or overhead atmosphere influence the sunlight.

Like Jim says below, there are the online docs for 3.7 to browse through ;-)

>> My skysphere is a simple sphere with the following finish:
>> finish {emission 1 diffuse 0}
>
> I instead use a proper sky_sphere with a gradient y from almost white
> cyan to rgb <0, 0.3, 1>!

Obviously, my code was not complete. My complete sky code is:

sphere { <0, 0, 0>, 1
   pigment {
     gradient y
     color_map {