POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Automation : Results Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:28 EDT (-0400)
  Results
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Nov 2011 11:03:57
Message: <4ec5306d$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/11/2011 02:51 PM, Invisible wrote:
> A few of you may know what I was in the IDTA Freestyle / Rock & Roll
> National Dance Finals on Saturday. (No, we didn't win anything. Are you
> surprised? Because I'm not...)

Woohoo! The results have been released! :-D

There were 13 couples entered in our event. In round 1, the judges
select the 6 best couples.

   2 couples were chosen by all 7 judges. (Couples #453 and #459.)
   1 couple was chosen by 5 of the judges.
   3 couples were chosen by 4 of the judges.

Together, that makes 6 couples. They all went through to the next (and
final) round.

   1 couple got only 3 recommendations.
   2 couples got picked by 2 judges.
   2 couples got only 1 recommendation.
   2 couples were picked by absolutely nobody.

Me and Lynn were picked by only a single judge. (Who, I notice, is the
only judge on the list with a masculine-sounding name. Also, the only
judge who picked 4 couples, not 6 like everybody else...) That puts us
in joint 10th place, just above the two unfortunate couples whom
*nobody* wanted to see any more of. (They share joint 12th place.)

In round 2 (the final round), each judge assigns each couple a number
between 1 and 6. And here's where it gets interesting...

As I say, two couples were voted for by all 7 judges - couples #453 and
#459. Now #459 are in my dance class. Apparently they've won this event
God knows how many times over - and naturally, everyone expected them to
win again this year. But actually, they got 2nd place, with
recommendations of 1122234.

And what of #453? Well, they came 4th. Their recommendations were
3345556. Go figure!

So, uh, who won? Well, it was #446, who only got a piffling 4
recommendations in round 1 and nearly went home. But in the final round,
they got 1112236.

Read that again: Three judges thought they should be 1st, two judges
said 2nd, one judge said 3rd, AND ONE JUDGE SAID 6th?!? (As in, last
place.) How can 6 judges place them in the top 3, and the final one
place them last? That's pretty random...

Remember couple #453? One of the two that got 7 recommendations in round
1? In round two, they got 1455666, and therefore came last. Again,
everyone thought they should be bottom, except for ONE judge. THE SAME
ONE, incidentally. I wonder what the hell *she* was watching?

[I can only imagine she was standing at the other end of the room or
something, and so she did see #453 and nobody else did, and she didn't
see #466 and everyone else did. But man, that's some weird stats...]