POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it! : Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Realistic indoor radiosity - I still don't get it!
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 16 Nov 2011 12:49:51
Message: <4ec3f7bf@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

After finally having compiled and installed PoV-Ray 3.7 for Linux, I
still can't figure out how to tweak radiosity in a way that I get
realistic light levels both outside and inside a building.

I tried Hildur Kolbrun Andresdottir's radiosity settings from her
tutorial (http://www.simnet.is/hildurka/content/tut1page.htm, the left
one of the two final settings, see almost bottom of page), decreased the
brightness value to 1 (with Mrs. Andresdottir's original 2, everything
outside would simply drown in white), and also upped gray_threshold to
0.8 - but still inside, the contrast ist too low (and, compared to Mrs.
Andresdottir's rendering, surfaces are generally too dark), while
outside scenes are still not far from "drowning in white"!

My current radiosity settings:

       radiosity
       {
         brightness 1.5
       	count 100
       	error_bound 0.15
         gray_threshold 0.8
         low_error_factor 0.2
         minimum_reuse 0.015
         nearest_count 10
       	recursion_limit 5
         adc_bailout 0.01
         max_sample 1 // -1
         always_sample 1
       	pretrace_start 0.08
       	pretrace_end 0.002
       }
       ambient_light 0

What did I happen to not understand?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '2011-11-16 port whatmough residential building 1, take 262 - view from kitchen into atelier, andresdottir radiosity (mod' (17 KB) Download '2011-11-16 port whatmough residential building 1, take 263 - view from north, andresdottir radiosity (modified).jpg' (26 KB)

Preview of image '2011-11-16 port whatmough residential building 1, take 262 - view from kitchen into atelier, andresdottir radiosity (mod'
2011-11-16 port whatmough residential building 1, take 262 - view from kitchen into atelier, andresdottir radiosity (mod

Preview of image '2011-11-16 port whatmough residential building 1, take 263 - view from north, andresdottir radiosity (modified).jpg'
2011-11-16 port whatmough residential building 1, take 263 - view from north, andresdottir radiosity (modified).jpg