POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I would agree with most or all the employment advice herein: : Re: I would agree with most or all the employment advice herein: Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I would agree with most or all the employment advice herein:
From: Warp
Date: 14 Nov 2011 12:35:44
Message: <4ec15170@news.povray.org>
> http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/10/28/dont-call-yourself-a-programmer/

  I suppose I should be (and I *am*) very glad to be, at least at the
moment, in a job where I get to solve and implement real, interesting
programming problems (such as problems related to geometry, combinatorics,
low and high level program optimization, and so on) with immediate visible
results and payoff (namely: a playable computer game), where I make the
programming decisions and design.

  I have seen a glimpse of what the "real" world of commercial programming
is, though, as I temporarily had a training job in a much larger firm.
It was a nightmare. CEOs would promise clients results with absolutely
unrealistic dealines, without consulting the project manager, the lead
programmer or any of the development staff, forcing the otherwise very
competent developers to create a haphazard mess with little to no planning
in a record time, with the infrastructure of the project constantly changing
without proper information being delivered to the programmers (which caused
much of the work to have to be rewritten), with no clear instructions on
what should be done when, where and how, and what's worse, with the project
manager, who in this case was also the lead programmer, being forced to sit
in completely useless meetings with the clients and CEOs, where requirements
would constantly change and unrealistic expectations would be constantly
presented.

  At the end of this training period both me and the project manager more
or less silently agreed that I wouldn't continue. I'm glad I didn't. I ended
up costing the company much more money than I could deliver in amount of
work, to no cause of mine. Overall it was an unpleasant experience. (The
fact that the developers there were very competent makes the whole ordeal
even more unpleasant. With enough time and proper organization they would
have made an excellent job, if not for the stupidity of the higher-ups.)

--
                                                          - Warp