POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I would agree with most or all the employment advice herein: : Re: I would agree with most or all the employment advice herein: Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I would agree with most or all the employment advice herein:
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Nov 2011 05:50:03
Message: <4ec0f25b$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/11/2011 10:08 PM, Darren New wrote:
> http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/10/28/dont-call-yourself-a-programmer/

Interesting.

I love how I read "you should be able to explain your ideas to a bright
8 year old or to the CFO", and I immediately wondered whether the CFO
would be smart enough to comprehend something a small child can
understand. ;-)

In my limited experience, managers are astonishingly stupid people.
(Depending on how high up they are, generally. Some of the ones lower
down actually *have* a clue...)

I also love how a large segment of people are all like "BS! The real
world isn't like this! You're lying! You don't know WTF you're talking
about! How made you an expert anyway?" Can you spell "denial"?

Having just said that, I'm not sure that *every* company is actually
like this. From what I've seen, organisational culture varies from place
to place.

For example, where I work, few people would try to take credit for
somebody else's work, or steer the group towards a path of action that
most benefits themselves. Because, frankly, if you did these things, you
would be wasting your time. Achievement is not recognised nor rewarded
here. Nobody ever gets pay rises for any reason. Nobody is thanked for
their effort. So there's really no reason to try to out-do anybody else.
(On the contrary, people's attitude is more one of "we're all in this
together, we're all stuck in this dead-end, let's just make the most of
it".)

Where my mum works, there's a lot of back-stabbing. Everyone has target
statistics to meet. And that means that almost every single employee
constantly operates on the basis of "how can I make this become somebody
else's problem as fast as possible?" People will try to claim that
something is another department's responsibility, they will try to dump
jobs into somebody else's job queue, they will redirect callers to
someone else - *anyone* else - because if you can just get *rid* of the
work as fast as possible, you get the best stats.

Those poor unfortunate people who try to actually HELP THE CUSTOMER?
They are the ones with the awful stats who end up getting hired. Welcome
to defective management practices.

So in summary, I'm sure there are companies where everyone is very
up-tight and constantly trying to stab everyone in the back and get the
glory and the money. And there are other companies where everyone is too
laid back to care. And companies somewhere inbetween.

What I *will* say is that, seemingly without exception, every
corporation on Earth seems to regard programmers as "those unnecessary
people we keep having to spend huge sums of money on; if only we could
figure out how to get rid of them..." Nobody, anywhere, seems to value
technical skill in the slightest.

I guess that's just a reflection of the larger issues in society. There
was a time when people prized the highest-quality goods. Today everybody
just wants to find the cheapest model on the market. Given the choice
between a nice quality TV that works well and is easy to use, and a shit
TV that's 85% cheaper, every single man, women and child will pick the
cheap one, and then complain like hell that it's unreliable and horribly
complicated to operate...

Also: This is why I've given up trying to get paid as a programmer. 99%
of companies don't need anybody to write software for them. 95% of all
software written is technically trivial. 100% of managers want the
crappiest, buggiest software you can write. Because software that works
properly doesn't add any value. (See above.)

On the other hand, the guy who fixes your mission-critical computer
stuff when it breaks? That guy is seen as necessary and useful, and gets
paid money. (In varying degrees.) Plus I can walk in the door and say
that I already get paid to do that for a living. People take that kind
of thing more seriously.