POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : See: Dynamic Hair and Poseray in p.t.poser : Re: See: Dynamic Hair and Poseray in p.t.poser Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: See: Dynamic Hair and Poseray in p.t.poser
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Nov 2011 04:20:46
Message: <4ec0dd6e@news.povray.org>
On 14-11-2011 8:53, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> [...] Another track to investigate is the use of transparency, i.e.
> a transparency map. I am not sure, it depends on how the uv-mapping of
> the tubes is done.

OK. I investigated the uv_mapping and that appears to be nicely done,
with the seam along the length axis of each individual hair/tube.

Use of transparency maps is not necessary/recommended as the hairs are
too thin.

However, if needed/wanted, one can of course use transmit or better
filter, within the texture to play with the transparency of the hair.

The following material has been used for the attached image. Note the
gradient x for colour change from root to tip. No filter applied here
but it subtly alters the overall aspect when used. Advice: filter 0 at
the root; filter <1.0 at the tip. Be careful with the use of any warp as
this can upset your scheme.

The material used:

material {
   texture {
     uv_mapping
     pigment {
       gradient x
       pigment_map {
         [0.20 srgb <  0,   0,   0>/255 filter 0.0]
         [1.00 srgb <255, 255, 255>/255 filter 0.0]
       }
       scale <1, 1, 1>
       warp {turbulence <0.0, 0.01, 0.01>}
     }