POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hollow Earth : Re: Hollow Earth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hollow Earth
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 13 Nov 2011 05:16:45
Message: <4ebf990d$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/11/2011 7:29 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 12/11/2011 7:52 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> On 11/12/2011 11:33, Warp wrote:
>>> Seems like a whole lot of trouble and a whole lot of unknown physics
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strata_%28novel%29
>>

> Or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_of_Shadows

Or http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_%28novel%29

There was another SF series that I can't recall the name of right now.
The solar system had been converted to house vastly more humans by
erecting concentric Dyson spheres approximately at the orbital radii of
the existing planets.  The planets were left as little legacy worlds
rotating in blisters within the shells.  These allowed passage between
the spaces between the shells and therefore for the protagonists to
travel either inwards or outwards.

There was a nice driver in that the structure was created by an AI
charged with "providing ever increasing living space for the human
population".  Initially it appeared that the AI was trying to prevent
the crew exploring. [Spoiler alert] It turns out that the AI had
realised the futility of trying to cope with exponential growth and had
caused the crew to be formed in order to try to resolve the situation
before its capabilities were exceeded.  It was a bit schizo because it
could not defy its primary directive but still had to resolve the
impossibility.

The shells had to be reinforced by some form of force field and gravity
generators were used to allow occupation of the outer surface of each
shell.  Fusion generators were used to create mini suns in orbits
between the shells to provide heat and light.

Then there was a shell where the "humans" were engineered to be smaller
and able to exist in caverns through a greater volume rather than just
on the shell surface.  The population was in the trillions or quadrillions.

I read them about 30 years ago.  Probably a bit childish and naive to
reread but I recall them fondly.

Was it the "Cage World" series ?  Can't turn up any hits through the
usual means.