POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Povray: the benefits : Re: Povray: the benefits Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray: the benefits
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Nov 2011 14:05:53
Message: <4eb6da91$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/11/2011 11:21 AM, gregjohn wrote:
> If you model something in 3DS or Blender, what is
> the specific benefit of porting to povray?

As far as I can tell, "not much".

The whole benefit of POV-Ray is that it can render things which aren't
meshes, and hence can't be moddelled with a mesh moddeller.

Having said that, I'm not really sure what capabilities other renderers
have. Certainly ones optimised for realtime work tend not to have
sophisticated light transport, with things like caustics, soft shadows,
etc. Then again, I hear there's a new vogue for "unbiased" renderers,
which are even more realistic than POV-Ray. (And, one presumes,
consequently they must be crushingly slow...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/