POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Povray: the benefits : Re: Povray: the benefits Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray: the benefits
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Nov 2011 15:14:24
Message: <4eb58b10$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/4/2011 8:45, gregjohn wrote:
> benefit is there over doing that instead of just rendering the image directly in
> the external modeler?"

Since POV-Ray supports more than just meshes (like isosurfaces, spheres,
etc), it needs to have a much more powerful way of defining textures beyond
just UV mapping a texture image. POV-Ray has the best texturing language
I've ever seen, because every other tool expects your texturing language to
be photoshop. While this is OK for some things (like characters, say), it
tends to fall apart when you're talking about things like walls, floors,
piles of rusty cubes, jumbled rocks on the beach, a forest full of
randomly-generated trees, etc. POV-Ray's textures are the "infinite detail"
of the modeling world.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)