POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Halloween : Re: Halloween Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:32:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Halloween
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Nov 2011 01:57:18
Message: <4eb22d3e$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/1/2011 23:32, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> On 10/31/2011 23:41, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>> in the end, *any* harvest festival pretty much "is" Halloween, we just ended
>>> up with the version that included costumes and candy.
>
>> Actually, we got American Thanksgiving, too. So double-plus there.
>
>    What do you need two harvest festivals for?

One came with the europeans, one is (essentially) left over from the native
americans.

The one called "Thanksgiving" is traditionally represented by a bunch of
pilgrims and a bunch of indians (i.e., native americans) sitting down and
eating native american food like turkeys and pumpkins, and smoking tobacco.
The folklore is that it was the immigrant settlers making peace with the
natives, being helped through the bad winter by the more worldly native
americans because they hadn't harvested enough on their own.

Halloween might have come from the spanish immigrants or something?
day-of-the-dead sort of thing, or as you say from the irish immigrants many
years later.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)