POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Halloween : Re: Halloween Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Halloween
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 2 Nov 2011 18:00:54
Message: <4eb1bd96$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/2/2011 7:50 AM, Warp wrote:
>    Now in return you'll have to tell me something I didn't know about the
> culture of your country. :)
>
>    (From your sender address I'm assuming that would be the US. That
> probably makes the task a bit difficult, given how much Americans have
> spread knowledge of your culture through Hollywood and TV... :) But I'm
> sure there's something I didn't know already.)

As you expected, I'm having quite a bit of trouble thinking of anything.
  Not only because you already seem to know a fair bit about America,
but because much of American culture (particularly on the west coast
where I live) is so young.  It's seems odd to talk about something
that's only been going on for 10 years as "culture".  Of course there
are very old Native American cultural traditions, but they're not really
something I caa speak to with authority.  To further complicate matters,
US culture varies a great deal depending on where in the US you are.

I guess the best thing I can think of is that in many areas in America
seem to delight in other cultures.  I'd estimate that 1/2 to 2/3 of the
restaurants within a few miles of where I live are based on food from
somewhere else (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Russian,
Mexican, Italian, German, Ecuadorian, Malay, Ethiopian, etc.).  In the
summer I'll also expect to see several festivals or parades celebrating
other countries/cultures.  In some semi-paradoxical sense, I tend to one
of the most "American" cultural traits to be the way in which other
cultures are brought together and combined.  I assume you were already
aware of this though, but it's the main thing that came to mind.