POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Halloween : Re: Halloween Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Halloween
From: Warp
Date: 2 Nov 2011 02:52:23
Message: <4eb0e8a7@news.povray.org>
> On 10/31/2011 13:46, Warp wrote:
> >    In other parts of Finland Easter time was, for some reason, associated
> > with witches (I think this is a more international phenomenon than Finland
> > only).

> The earliest it was reasonable to dance naked in the forest? :-)

  The typical image of a Lapland witch was a rural very old wrinkled woman.
I don't think "dancing naked" was part of the imago... :P

  To be honest, I have no idea at what age the real-life "witches" started
their "profession" back when they were still active. I suppose they had
some kind of apprentices, if not even daughters that would succeed them.

  I also don't know when the practice was completely eradicated, but I think
they prevailed up until surprisingly recently. AFAIK even in 1950's there
were still some such women up there far in the north.

> >    At some point these two traditions got merged,

> Cool traditions. Somehow I'd always thought that Europe had more generally
> homogenous cultures in things like that, but I guess that's just the Ugly
> American(tm) in me. :)

  Europe is not the United States. The cultures are extremely varied, both
in the north-nouth axis and the east-west axis.

--
                                                          - Warp