POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Halloween : Re: Halloween Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:28:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Halloween
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 1 Nov 2011 02:41:56
Message: <4eaf94b4$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/31/2011 12:37 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 10/29/2011 1:45, Warp wrote:
>> Ten years ago Halloween was completely inexistent in Finland.
>
> Doesn't Finland have a harvest celebration, tho? Like Thanksgiving and
> Mid-Autumn Festival and stuff like that? That's really all Halloween is,
> except some Christians went and dressed it up in evil icons because it
> was the pagan version of the holiday.

Yeah, basically what they did, more or less. Would be, actually, more
accurate to say that, all over Europe, and I doubt Finland was any
different, if there was a harvest festival, and it was pagan, they
*claimed* it was Satanic, involved witchcraft, and therefor, as per the
re-write done in the KJV, one shouldn't suffer such people to live. The
only reason I can see Finland not having such a day is if its a) at a
different time, or b) the Christians where actually successful at ending
them. Mostly, they almost managed that everyplace, but, for various
reasons, new superstitions replaced the old ones, and instead of
celebrating "harvest" they started dressing up to scare off, or confuse,
"demons". One thing Christianity was almost as good at as the Romans was
mangling other people's festivals, distorting their meaning, then
co-opting them for their own purposes. But, in the end, *any* harvest
festival pretty much "is" Halloween, we just ended up with the version
that included costumes and candy.