POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bloatware : Re: Bloatware Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bloatware
From: Warp
Date: 31 Oct 2011 07:50:21
Message: <4eae8b7d@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> An entire OS is larger than a compiler? SAY IT ISN'T SO! :-P

  "Image" means "jpeg".

> zlib.h - OK, I have no explanation for why this would be more than 1,000
> bytes long. It's only a header file, after all. (IOW, it tells you the
> name of the compress and decompress functions. Unless those names are
> *really* long, I can't see how two function names can be 80KB in size.)

  zlib consists of a lot more than just two functions. There are probably
at least a hundred functions and a couple of dozens of types. (For example,
zlib contains wrapper functions that simulate the usage of the standard I/O
functions.)

> The touch command - no explanation.

  It has multiple command-line parameters (which have to be parsed and
interpreted), a help text for all those parameters, probably tons of
different error messages and probably tons of code dealing with the unix
file system (as it might not be the same thing to 'touch' a file, a directory,
a soft link, a pipe, a device, etc). Some statically linked libraries might
add unused code to the executable as well.

--
                                                          - Warp