POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : strange behavior, lightsource + lookslike + media : Re: strange behavior, lightsource + lookslike + media Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: strange behavior, lightsource + lookslike + media
From: clipka
Date: 30 Oct 2011 21:04:31
Message: <4eadf41f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.10.2011 22:03, schrieb Alain:
> The part I do like is that the looks_like object is centered on the
> light_source whatever it's effective INITIAL location.

To be more precise, the looks_like object is not literally /centered/ on
the light source's initial location; rather, coordinates specified in
the looks_like object are interpreted relative to the light source's
location. (E.g. if you use "looks_like{sphere{<20,0,0>,1}}", the
looks_like object will be 20 units off from the light source's center.)

I think that feature can be argued about; from a consistency point of
view, I think it would make more sense if the looks_like object
coordinates would be interpreted as absolute world coordinates (after
all, POV-Ray uses absolute coordinates everywhere else); but I also see
the benefits of the relative-to-light-source behaviour; and backward
compatibility demands to keep it this way anyhow.