POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Halloween : Re: Halloween Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Halloween
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Oct 2011 15:27:58
Message: <4eada53e$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/29/2011 13:32, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> What ever it may have *once been*, its no longer based on that at all.

Well, except for the people for whom it actually *is* a religious holiday.

> more like Christmas, with candy, instead of presents, and celebrated by
> nearly everyone.

True, but just like Christians still go to church on christmas and easter
even if nobody else does, actual pagans do actually celebrate halloween.
Fortunately, they're rather more good natured about everyone dressing up as
witches. I suspect I'd get fired if I showed up to work near Christmas time
wearing a plastic crown of thorns and with fake blood spots on my palms.

> Mind, some wackos in the US "celebrate" it by blaring
> religious propaganda over loud speakers against witchcraft (or did a few
> years back in my city), and running "haunted houses" dedicated to telling
> little kids all of the sinful things, including Halloween, which will send
> them to hell, if they do them.

Those are the wackos that are interested enough in religion to recognise
it's still a religious holiday for various groups.

> yeah, its pretty much not a "holy day" for anyone any more.

You should disabuse yourself of that notion. Just because you don't get
invited doesn't mean they don't celebrate their religious holidays.

> In any case, other than a few kooks, and a few neo-pagans and new
> agers (same thing in this day), who don't follow a damn thing like what they
> "imagine" the past was, or people did, or believed, its just something for fun.

You should be aware that would be exceedingly rude in front of someone who
actually is pagan. However, pagans generally don't advertise the fact, so
you you won't actually know you're calling your boss a kook when you say
something like this in front of him.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)