POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum levitation : Re: Quantum levitation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum levitation
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 29 Oct 2011 17:33:44
Message: <4eac7138@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 18:52:06 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> On 10/28/2011 8:25 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:36:13 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>
>>> Just saying, indirectly, that being right, for the wrong reasons, i.e.
>>> belief in it, rather than knowing the facts, isn't *that* huge of a
>>> problem, for the believer. They may be doing the right thing, for the
>>> wrong reason, but they don't "step off the plane, in mid-flight",
>>> unlike the twit that "believes" the exact opposite (such as believing
>>> that climate is fake).
>>
>> OIC.  The problem is that being right for the wrong reasons reinforces
>> superstitious beliefs and other cognitive errors.
>>
>> Jim
> Yeah. But, if your the guy trying to fix something, you can at least
> work with it. lol

Read an interesting blog post by Jen McCreight last night, where she
posed the question "why is it that we don't grant people who believe that
airplanes fly because of fairies degrees in aeronautical engineering, but
we grant people who don't believe in evolution degrees in
microbiology?" (I'm paraphrasing here).

The "Puddingologists" don't get degrees in geology, either.

Funny, that. :)

Jim