POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : strange behavior, lightsource + lookslike + media : Re: strange behavior, lightsource + lookslike + media Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: strange behavior, lightsource + lookslike + media
From: Alain
Date: 29 Oct 2011 14:29:59
Message: <4eac4627@news.povray.org>

> Am 28.10.2011 15:36, schrieb [GDS|Entropy]:
>> However, instead of two hemispheres 1 unit away from the central glow
>> sphere,
>> they are now inside it. The issue of appearance altering with translation
>> persists.
>>
>> I can see that the light source has translated, but it almost looks
>> like the
>> media didn't.
>>
>> Weird...
>
> To be honest, you just discovered a bug in 3.7.RC3 there. Apparently,
> when a light source is translated, the looks_like object is translated
> as well, but not its members (such as media).
>
> 3.6.2 does it right. Gotta fix this.

I don't know if it's realy a bug, I like to call it an improvement.
Anyway, as it is now, it makes it reasier to correctly place the
looks_like at the same place as the light_source.

You can have something like:
#macro My_light(Location, Colour) = light_source{Location, Colour
looks_like{Some_Object}}}

As long as the object is defined at the origin, then, for any value of
Location, the looks_like object will be at the correct location.

That behaviour did NOT change since the early betas of version 3.7.

Alain