POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum levitation : Re: Quantum levitation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum levitation
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Oct 2011 00:48:37
Message: <4eaa3425$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/26/2011 4:14 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:10:42 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson<nos### [at] nospamcom>  wrote:
>>> It's not just ufologists and 'new age hippies' - it's pretty much
>>> anyone who believes something.  It's people who "believe" in climate
>>> change.
>>
>>    I really hope that wasn't meant to imply that you oppose the concept
>>    of
>> climate change.
>
> My inclusion/exclusion of topics has nothing to do with my position on
> those claims. :)
>
>>    (I agree that you shouldn't believe scientific claims just because
>>    they
>> say so, but instead you should understand where those claims are coming
>> from and what their justification is, as well as understand how the
>> scientific method works and why it's different from superstition and
>> conspiracy theories. It's just that I'm not sure what you meant by the
>> above quote.)
>
> There are those who believe in climate change not because they've applied
> any rigor to it, but they have a "sense" that it's true even though they
> haven't studied it personally.  They "take it on faith" that the science/
> scientists who support their point of view have done their homework.
>
> That's no different than believing in UFOs because MUFON exists and they
> say UFOs are real.
>
> (Incidentally, "UFOs" - are real.  I see things in the sky every day that
> I can't identify - so for me, it is a flying object that's
> unidentified. ;) )
>
> Jim
Which is certainly true. But, the counter argument is that the guy that
stays on the plane, because he is sure that angels are carrying the
wings, will stay on the plane, while the guy that thinks they "zapped"
everyone, including the plane with an "anti-gravity ray", might just be
dumb enough to open the door and jump out. There may be no functional
difference between the two, but one has a bloody lot higher odds of
being right, or surviving, even if its by accident. lol