POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum levitation : Re: Quantum levitation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum levitation
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Oct 2011 00:45:34
Message: <4eaa336e$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/26/2011 11:08 PM, Saul Luizaga wrote:
> I see what you mean and a "crazy" person obsessed is different from a
> respected ufologist, check the series, is not like that at all.
Believing only one implausible thing isn't any better, especially when
most of the foundations behind the idea you are pursuing come, directly
or indirectly, from the "crazy" people. It becomes a sort of cargo
cultism. It doesn't matter which tribe member first became convinced
that building runways and fake radio towers would bring back the
airplanes, now everyone is just *certain* that they are just not quite
getting it quite "right".

The people looking for Atlantis are similar. Its plausible that a whole
hell of a lot of stuff they are stumbling over, and following "may" lead
to artifacts of prior civilization, the problem is, Atlantis isn't going
to be that civilization. It is, and always has been, nothing but a
single mention in some old poem, and 100% of everything since is based
on the works of one total kook. Not one scrap of anything the man wrote
was researched by him personally, he didn't travel, didn't do
archeology, or so much as leave his house, except maybe to buy some new
book on speculative archeology, or mythology, which he used to create
his works. He just strung a mass of bits and pieces of half discovered
stuff together, and concluded it "pointed to" something that no other
record *anywhere* from ancient times even remotely suggests is real,
existed, or gives a name to.

He was Tolkien, before people knew that the sort of stuff Tolkien wrote
was "fiction", and everything we know about Atlantis, is pretty much
indistinguishable, in its reality, from Mordor.

Ufology is a crazy mix of stuff from people that fall into one of three
categories:

1. We think its something like what all the nuts prior to us claim.

2. We don't know, but sort of hope that some advanced civilization has
better science than us, so it *could be* something sort of like, #1,
only without the crazy.

3. We don't know at all, but we sure as hell don't trust anyone else to
figure it out, especially the military, government, or most scientists.

In short, even the relatively sane ones are still paranoid.