POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum levitation : Re: Quantum levitation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum levitation
From: Warp
Date: 27 Oct 2011 17:00:00
Message: <4ea9c64f@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> you like science
> a lot and you're not willing to see things any other way with the same
> attitude

  Incorrect. I am willing to see things in alternative ways. What you don't
seem to understand is that I'm not willing to *accept* things without
proper evidence and reliable scientific scrutiny. There's a big difference.

  Open-mindedness does not mean "accept alternatives as plausible". It means
"don't reject alternatives without having at least scrutinized them". I have,
and I have not found enough convincing evidence, and neither has the
scientific community. I do put a lot of weight on the opinion of the
scientific community as a whole because I know how it works (and I know
that they can do a lot better of a job than I can with my limited knowledge
and resources).

  It's the ufologists (and other pseudoscientists) who are closed-minded.
They reject natural earthly explanations outright. Moreover, if something
has no explanation (eg. because we cannot go back in time and measure the
one-time phenomenon properly), they will automatically consider it plausible
that it was something from another planet. That's an argument from ignorance,
and it's a fallacy.

--
                                                          - Warp