POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum levitation : Re: Quantum levitation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum levitation
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Oct 2011 19:14:21
Message: <4ea8944d$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:10:42 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> It's not just ufologists and 'new age hippies' - it's pretty much
>> anyone who believes something.  It's people who "believe" in climate
>> change.
>
>   I really hope that wasn't meant to imply that you oppose the concept
>   of
> climate change.

My inclusion/exclusion of topics has nothing to do with my position on
those claims. :)

>   (I agree that you shouldn't believe scientific claims just because
>   they
> say so, but instead you should understand where those claims are coming
> from and what their justification is, as well as understand how the
> scientific method works and why it's different from superstition and
> conspiracy theories. It's just that I'm not sure what you meant by the
> above quote.)

There are those who believe in climate change not because they've applied
any rigor to it, but they have a "sense" that it's true even though they
haven't studied it personally.  They "take it on faith" that the science/
scientists who support their point of view have done their homework.

That's no different than believing in UFOs because MUFON exists and they
say UFOs are real.

(Incidentally, "UFOs" - are real.  I see things in the sky every day that
I can't identify - so for me, it is a flying object that's
unidentified. ;) )

Jim