POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Following a tutorial on radiosity... : Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.7 for Linux Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:11:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.7 for Linux
From: clipka
Date: 26 Oct 2011 16:55:26
Message: <4ea873be$1@news.povray.org>

> checking for boostlib >= 1.37... configure: error: We could not detect
> the boost libraries (version 1.37 or higher). If you have a staged boost
> library (still not installed) please specify $BOOST_ROOT in your
> environment and do not give a PATH to --with-boost option. If you are
> sure you have boost installed, then check your version number looking in
> <boost/version.hpp>. See http://randspringer.de/boost for more
> documentation.
>
> All Greek to me! Really, it is the very first time in my life that I try
> to compile larger things than just a single-script C++ program...
> Are there packages missing? Should I install the boost libraries? What
> are boost libraries?

Boost libraries := something you should install; check out your Linux
distribution's package manager, it'll most likely have them. Make sure
to also install the "developer" package for the boost libraries
(probably named something like "boost-dev" or "boost-devel").

If you still experience problems even after installing the boost
libraries, try adding the command-line option
"--with-boost-thread=boost_thread-mt" to ./configure.