POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Following a tutorial on radiosity... : Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.7 for Linux Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:31:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.7 for Linux
From: clipka
Date: 26 Oct 2011 06:04:07
Message: <4ea7db17$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi(gh)!
>
> On 26.10.2011 00:32, clipka wrote:
>
>> That should be a *.tar.bz2 file actually. You won't get far with the
>> Windows zip file on a Linux machine :-P
>
> In fact it is! But I'm not even able to unpack the archive with ark
> correctly - all I get is an error message saying "libarchive is not able
> to process the archive file"!

I don't know that "ark" you're mentioning; do you mean arc? arj? ar?
 From what I know, each of these three is specialized on one special
type of compressed file respectively, none of which is the bzip2 format.

The traditional official way to extract the contents should be:

     bunzip2 povray-3.7.0.RC3.tar.bz2
     tar -xf povray-3.7.0.RC3.tar

The following single command should also do the job:

     tar -xjf povray-3.7.0.RC3.tar.bz2