POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Following a tutorial on radiosity... : Re: Following a tutorial on radiosity... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:31:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Following a tutorial on radiosity...
From: clipka
Date: 25 Oct 2011 16:07:04
Message: <4ea716e8$1@news.povray.org>

> So I changed the pretrace_end to 0.002...
> ....and increased error_bound to 0.1 - aside from the scene now
> rendering somewhat faster, I found no advantages, there are still the
> same annoying artifacts (see below)! Perhaps I really should try the
> ambient sphere...

What you really should try is POV-Ray 3.7 - radiosity has changed a lot
since 3.6.

You'll probably need to increase the radiosity count parameter at any
rate though; the irregularities seen on the walls indicate that POV-Ray
doesn't "catch" the bright patches of sunlight on the floor reliably.

In case render times increase unacceptably, there are some ways in 3.7
to counter this increase to some degree. (In particular, you can define
fully transparent objects to "mark" the patches of sunlight, set to
"radiosity { importance 1.0 } no_image no_shadow no_reflection", while
you set the walls to "radiosity { importance 0.1 }" or some such.)