From: Darren New
Date: 25 Oct 2011 11:58:02
Message: <4ea6dc8a$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/23/2011 20:47, Jim Henderson wrote:
> But maybe I'm an abberation.

You do all that if one web page times out, before you try just refreshing
the page? Yes, you're an abberation. :)

I bet you disassemble the door of your car every time you hit the remote and
it doesn't lock on the first try, too. ;-)

>>> a function of your teammates or their nationality, it's the way
>>> Microsoft has trained people to "troubleshoot".
>>
>> And how do people fix such problems in MacOSX, or on their Android
>> phone? It's not Microsoft. It's just that Microsoft provides a huge
>> proprietary platform with no checks on who can use it.
>
> Well, I can tell you that when I run into trouble, I actually do take the
> time to try to figure out what's going wrong rather than just refreshing
> or rebooting.

Well, sure. But it takes knowledge of what's happening inside the machine
and what might likely be wrong. If you don't really know the difference
between RAM and disk, you're not likely to try trouble-shooting a fragmented
page file or something.

> Because I would far rather not run into a preventable issue over and over
> again.  I get bored with the same problems cropping up, so I try to
> resolve them.

Sure. But we're talking about a one-off, for the most part. If it keeps
happening, people go back and complain it didn't get fixed with a reboot.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)