From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 24 Oct 2011 16:09:00
Message: <4ea5c5dc@news.povray.org>
>> To be fair, I don't think they try to exclude me on purpose. It's just
>> that they all work in the same room, and I don't.
>
> Right - when you have one remote member of a team, it does require a
> conscious effort to include them.

And they make a half-hearted attempt to do that. It's just that, like so
much in this department, it's not very thorough.

>> Is it really worth abandoning everything I've ever cared about just to
>> have more coins in my pocket?
>>
>> That's not a rhetorical question. The answer I suppose depends on your
>> priorities. If you value happiness more than money, then I guess that
>> fixes the answer...
>
> Except that you don't seem particularly happy, either.  Maybe that's just
> what comes across here, but you often sound quite miserable and
> depressed.  You worry about people in your own town beating you up, you
> hate your job, your mom drives you crazy....About the only thing you've
> said you like is the way Milton Keynes is organised.  That seems like a
> very minor reason (to me, but hey, it may be very significant to you) to
> stay someplace you hate around people you can't stand to be with who
> don't respect you.

In order to answer this properly, it becomes necessary to understand
that my life has changed over the last few years.

I used to live in a box, paranoid that if I set foot outside, I would be
beaten to death. After all, almost every social interaction that I had
ever experienced consisted either of being ignored or attacked.

My life isn't like that any more. For the very first time in my life, I
have *friends*. Actual, physical people that I can reach out and touch.
[But only if dance class is on this week, sadly...] I'm happier than
I've ever been at any prior point in my life.

But yes, I still really dislike my job. I just feel that I'm wasting my
life there. And my mum still drives me crazy! (In fact, just tonight
I've had to put up with 3 hours of her bawling her eyes out like an
overtired 2 year old...)

> Leaving home, though, isn't "abandonment of everything you've ever cared
> about", though - I left my parents to go to college and to pursue a
> career.  I still am a major part of my mom's life (my dad having passed
> away a few years ago).

I'd love to not have to live with my mum any more. It's just that I
actually like MK. I have actual friends here, I love my dance school,
and to be honest, every other city I've seen is just old and run-down.

>> Well, I suppose there is something to be said for just replacing the
>> entire car... It's potentially a lot quicker than a lot of complex
>> troubleshooting. But to me, it just seems like the "wrong" answer.
>
> It also tends to be a lot more expensive, and to most businesses, saving
> money is a key part of survival.  And there's no guarantee that the new
> car you buy won't have the same problem, or a different - and more
> difficult - problem.

I hear you. Like I said, *I* don't think it's the right answer. But hey,
that's just me. Apparently.

>> It was getting late at night. I told Gentoo to "emerge mozilla", and
>> went to bed. By the morning, it has nerly finished compiling.
>
> So with gentoo, an emerge actually downloads the code needed to build,
> and it builds all the dependencies.  So you weren't just building
> Firefox, you were building the entire system.
>
> That's just slightly different.

Well, no, I had already built several large things at this point.
(Including X11 and KDE.) So those were already done. However, yeah, it's
possible it pulled in some other dependencies as well as Firefox itself.
Given that the ebuild system spews out commands longer than one terminal
screenful (WTF?), it's hard to say.

>> OK, well let me put it this way: I would be /surprised/ if HP are
>> interested in helping anybody not paying for the priviledge.
>
> If you bought the product, you've already paid for the privilege of
> getting at least fundamental setup help for the product.  If you can't
> get it to work, you're likely to return it, and returns cost them money.
> It's in their financial interest to support any product in at least a
> minimal fashion.

Sure. But if it's just a glitch in their driver that make it not work
with a certain product, they aren't going to bother fixing that. Not
unless there's money in it.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/