From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Oct 2011 17:52:32
Message: <4ea48ca0$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 21:57:53 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> And yes, being the only person in the team who works geographically
>>> isolated really puts the "me" in "team".
>>
>> Of course I agree with that.  It can be done, but it takes effort on
>> everyone's part, and it seems that your teammates don't think of you as
>> part of the team or try to include you.
>
> To be fair, I don't think they try to exclude me on purpose. It's just
> that they all work in the same room, and I don't.

Right - when you have one remote member of a team, it does require a
conscious effort to include them.

>> Finding another job would probably be a good way to do this, but you
>> seem to lack the flexibility to make a change - you're rooted to a
>> place and are unwilling to relocate, even if the money is far, far
>> better.
>
> Is it really worth abandoning everything I've ever cared about just to
> have more coins in my pocket?
>
> That's not a rhetorical question. The answer I suppose depends on your
> priorities. If you value happiness more than money, then I guess that
> fixes the answer...

Except that you don't seem particularly happy, either.  Maybe that's just
what comes across here, but you often sound quite miserable and
depressed.  You worry about people in your own town beating you up, you
hate your job, your mom drives you crazy....About the only thing you've
said you like is the way Milton Keynes is organised.  That seems like a
very minor reason (to me, but hey, it may be very significant to you) to
stay someplace you hate around people you can't stand to be with who
don't respect you.

Leaving home, though, isn't "abandonment of everything you've ever cared
about", though - I left my parents to go to college and to pursue a
career.  I still am a major part of my mom's life (my dad having passed
away a few years ago).

>>> Of course, that's an exaggeration. But those guys do seem reluctant to
>>> throw any real thought power at the problem when you can just replace
>>> stuff and see if that fixes it. Maybe they're just busier than me...
>>> seems to be a cultural thing though.
>>
>> No, it's not particularly cultural.  Just the type of people they've
>> hired in your company's US organisation.
>
> Well, I suppose there is something to be said for just replacing the
> entire car... It's potentially a lot quicker than a lot of complex
> troubleshooting. But to me, it just seems like the "wrong" answer.

It also tends to be a lot more expensive, and to most businesses, saving
money is a key part of survival.  And there's no guarantee that the new
car you buy won't have the same problem, or a different - and more
difficult - problem.

>>> No, this was on the same PC I'm using right now - AMD Athlon64 X2
>>> 4200+ 2.2 GHz with 3 GB RAM.
>>
>> What else was the system doing?
>
> It was getting late at night. I told Gentoo to "emerge mozilla", and
> went to bed. By the morning, it has nerly finished compiling.
>
> Note that at this point, I didn't even have an X server running. No
> services running. Nothing. I literally had a terminal screen running
> Bash and the build. It took many, many hours to finish. It actually
> quite surprises me that a mere web browser takes longer to compile than
> something complicated like X11. But there we are...

So with gentoo, an emerge actually downloads the code needed to build,
and it builds all the dependencies.  So you weren't just building
Firefox, you were building the entire system.

That's just slightly different.

>> I've got a similar system, and I'm sure it would compile FF faster than
>> that if nothing else was using the system.
>
> Hmm, OK. Apparently I imagined it then. o_O

No, but you did inadequately describe it.  You didn't "compile firefox",
you "compiled everything needed to compile firefox, including all the
tools and the libraries necessary to complete that task".

Building on Gentoo is very different from actually compiling software.
Gentoo is intended as an "everything built from source, optimised for
your system" distribution.  That's not actually the normal way Linux
systems are built.

>>> Sure. That's the general idea of a free license. But some licenses are
>>> freer than others. And different distros have different ideas about
>>> that. (See, again, Debian classifying POV-Ray as non-free.)
>>
>> But not when it comes to the GPL.  The kernel and many of the utilities
>> and programs that make up a distribution also are.  I can't arbitrarily
>> decide that you can't have access to it because I want to charge you
>> for my particular collection.
>
> Well, that's true enough. But without looking at the license for every
> single component in the OpenSUSE system, I don't know if there's some
> customer SUSE-only thing in it which has a less permissive license or
> something. So I was just asking.

That's fair, and I was just answering.  :)

openSUSE has the "OSS" and "non-OSS" repositories.  The OSS repositories
contain, as I recall, software that complies with the OSI's definition of
"free".  By default, openSUSE only installs those packages (which is why
closed-source video/wireless drivers aren't included - because those
aren't distributed under an OSI-compliant 'free' license - also why
proprietary codecs aren't included, or libdvdcss, or other such software).

>>> Sure, but presumably they only *support* your products if you pay for
>>> an expensive support package?
>>
>> It depends on the product.  You might look into it (there's no reason
>> for me to do so for you, you can navigate the HP site as well as I
>> can).
>
> OK, well let me put it this way: I would be /surprised/ if HP are
> interested in helping anybody not paying for the priviledge.

If you bought the product, you've already paid for the privilege of
getting at least fundamental setup help for the product.  If you can't
get it to work, you're likely to return it, and returns cost them money.
It's in their financial interest to support any product in at least a
minimal fashion.

>>> The fact that I'm running from the standard ISO image of the live CD
>>> tells you it doesn't have any VM tools installed. (Unless there are
>>> any present on the disk itself.) I'll admit I forgot to include the
>>> version numbers.
>>
>> "Standard ISO image of the live CD" doesn't tell me which one (there
>> are at least two for openSUSE).
>
> And I said somewhere earlier that I'd tried both the GNOME and KDE live
> CDs.

That's an important thing to include in the report - as you've mentioned,
this particular thread has gotten quite long, and it's not really simple
to keep track of all the assertions you've made about this particular
problem. :)

But even then, you still haven't specified the version used. ;)

>> I'd have to look, but the hardware detection may well see that it's in
>> a VM and run the GPL'ed VMware tools (I'd have to look).
>
> Well, yes at any rate, this is a question for the correct forum.
> Presumably there will be people there who don't even need to look this
> up.

Very likely. :)

>>> This is why it disturbs me so when a computer does something for no
>>> apparent reason. Like booting the same VM multiple times, when it can
>>> have no record of what happened before, and yet seeing a different
>>> result each time...
>>
>> That can mean there's a hardware issue (e.g, bad memory), or in the
>> program that's running in the VM there's a memory leak or some other
>> oddity.
>
> I would suspect it's a VMware glitch. Every other VM works just fine,
> so...

There again, though, read ESR's essay on asking questions - here you're
assuming an answer, instead of describing the problem.  But you've also
not specified the version of VMware used (I think you said it's running
on a Windows host, but you didn't specify which release of Windows).  But
you're not likely the only person who's trying to do this, and if it were
an expected glitch, then there would probably be something in the VMware
forums or the openSUSE forums about it.  If there isn't, either of those
places may be appropriate to ask the question.

Jim