From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 23 Oct 2011 04:57:55
Message: <4ea3d713$1@news.povray.org>
>> A reference manual is no substitute for an introduction.
>
>    Nobody every claimed that manpages are anything else than reference manuals.
> Yet many unix users have learned to use most unix tools via their manpages.

So it's not an introduction, and yet it's how most users introduce
themselves?

Now don't get me wrong. For something trivial like ln or cp, the
reference manual is probably all you need. There's not much to learn,
after all. But for something as complex as Bash, some examples and
exposition would really help tremendously... I wasted literally *hours*
trying to work out how the **** to execute the same command for every
file in the current directory. In the end I was forced to do it by hand.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/