POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum levitation : Re: Quantum levitation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum levitation
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Oct 2011 01:03:10
Message: <4ea3a00e$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/22/2011 7:32 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 10/22/2011 17:38, Saul Luizaga wrote:
>> Yes, all the tricks: Transporters, holodecks, replicators & a lot of
>> useful
>> things for space exploration and every day use, why not?
>
> Why not *what*? Why not just invent these fictional devices without any
> idea of how to go about doing so?

Yeah, about as absurd as assuming that you can do something like a
holodeck (fields and positional light), or replicator (using fields, of
some sort, to directly organize material into structures), without some
idiot inventing a lightsaber with it. The sad thing is, the replicator,
to a limited extent (might) be feasible, for some range of things. You
don't need absolute precision, if you are making something with a simple
chemical structure, which isn't prone to producing toxic byproducts, if
you get it wrong. You just need a way to, layer by layer, apply the
materials, something we already do, with printers, for some things now,
including simple circuits.

But, it doesn't require quantum anything to do it, or precise field
manipulations, or anti-grav, or the whole host of other shit that either
seems improbable at all, or requires shit that quantum mechanics
experiments haven't even come bloody close to providing us any sort of
clue for.