POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Got Boost and VC10 "ambiguous shared_ptr"?...heres why : Re: Got Boost and VC10 "ambiguous shared_ptr"?...heres why Server Time
26 Apr 2024 08:09:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Got Boost and VC10 "ambiguous shared_ptr"?...heres why
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 22 Oct 2011 01:19:01
Message: <4ea25245$1@news.povray.org>
On 21.10.11 23:21, Warp wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich<tho### [at] trfde>  wrote:
>> On 21.10.11 21:34, [GDS|Entropy] wrote:
>>>    From microsoft connect:
>>> http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/522404/share-ptr
>
>> It is actually sufficient to use a boost version aware of the TR1
>> implementation of your library or to disable the TR1 / C++11 support in your
>> library.
>
>>   >  Explicitly state: boost::shared_ptr
>
>> That is a kludge, not a solution.
>
>    Because disabling support for the C++ *standard* in the compiler isn't
> a kludge. Right.

Well, if you read the thread, you will find that it dates to 12/28/2009
11:01:38 PM and the answer dates back to 1/5/2010 at 12:28 PM. If you use
the current boost, it shouldn't be a problem. A year and a half ago it was a
problem because boost was behaving as designed, while the library in VC 2010
was not. The current boost is C++11 compatible (even though the standard is
just a few weeks old) and you can disable the C++11 features that were
originally provided by boost.

Oh, and for the record, the answer given by the MS person wasn't the best
one either. That answer would have been to define _HAS_CPP0X to zero in the
project settings, which disables experimental features in VC2010. The real
problem with this experimental features, after all, was that at various
point in time their behavior and implementation was still in flux and
incomplete, while that of boost was constant over time.

I also find it rather interesting that you move to a personal attack to
support your point of view...

	Thorsten