From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Oct 2011 18:25:03
Message: <4ea1f13f$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:18:07 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Which presumable again just tells you about command switches, not how
>>> to configure Apache using YaST.
>>
>> Try it.
>
> Not easily feasible. I don't have access to a SUSE box right this
> minute.

Well, I did mean the next time the opportunity presents itself.

> Well, you know, that's what manpages do. They give you a terse reference
> to the bare essentials of what a tool does. That doesn't seem like much
> of an "assumption" to me.

I learned to script in bash using the manpage.  That's not exactly a
terse one - again, hard to generalise about this kind of thing.

>> I accept that your experience has not been so good.  I'm telling you it
>> isn't always that way and that you could certainly try over in the
>> openSUSE forums when you have questions about openSUSE.
>
> OK, well like I say, I'm about to try to set up a new OpenSUSE
> installation. If it doesn't work out, I'll give it a try.

That's all I'm saying. :)

>> Just like searching for a job - if you stop searching, nobody's ever
>> going to offer you something better.
>
> Clearly I'm searching in the wrong places. You know, given that I never
> find anything worth even applying for... I still need to look at that,
> actually.

Well, I happen to be in a similar boat.  The trick is not to care about
the offers you don't get (and yes, that is hard - I've had a couple
places I really wanted to find work at that didn't work out for various
reasons), but to get to the one that *does* offer it to you.

5 months and counting for me.  At least I've found some short-term
contract work to do.

Jim