From: Invisible
Date: 21 Oct 2011 04:09:31
Message: <4ea128bb$1@news.povray.org>
>> Darren used to say "Google is your friend".
>>
>> Now we say "Google is your employer". :-P
>
> OK, now *that* is going in my .signature at some point.

Do you have any idea how long I've been waiting to say that? ;-)

>> If yes, then there's really no point applying. If they'd let me work
>> remotely, than I'd totally be interested...
>
> I don't know about England, but in the USA, that tends not to be common.

Mmm, that's what I figured. Oh well...

> That said, why the hell are you so resistant to even talking about
> applying? Why are you asking me for all the reasons you shouldn't even
> bother to apply to one of the most desirable tech companies around when
> someone on the inside is offering to get your resume to the top of the
> pile? Do you think if you interview they're going to *make* you work there?

I'd just feel kinda bad about making them go to all the trouble of
interviewing me, going through a long elaborate selection process,
finally getting a job offer, and then after all that saying "oh, you
want me to work in London? OK, forget it, I'm not interested", and them
being all like "WTF? Why did you even apply?!" I'd feel like I wasted
everybody's time.

> You know, this is probably one of the few places where your employer
> might pay you to work in Haskell. :-)

Yeah, maybe. Or perhaps look after some other piece of their
infrastructure. I'm easy. (You may have noticed.)

>> (Not that it's impossible for me to travel to London. I just don't
>> want to do it on a daily basis.)
>
> Sure. I live 75 miles from where I work, and until I got that
> straightened out, it was pretty annoying commuting every day. There's
> still enough people here that commute to the next city over that we run
> 3 vans every day.

I currently commute 40 miles a day. But in the opposite direction to all
the rush hour traffic, which is nice.

It's impossible to commute to London by car. (Well, no, it's
theoretically possible, but you'd be insane to try.) More to the point,
I absolutely hate London, so unless they're going to pay me 10x what I
get now, it wouldn't be worth it.