POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The world of Gancaloon: Zhin'ab (wip 1) : Re: The world of Gancaloon: Zhin'ab (wip 3) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The world of Gancaloon: Zhin'ab (wip 3)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Oct 2011 03:08:23
Message: <4ea11a67$1@news.povray.org>
On 21-10-2011 1:20, Robert McGregor wrote:
> This is really starting to come together nicely Thomas, I love the addition of
> the village and all the trees scattered in there :)

Thank you indeed, Robert! I shall probably add a second type hut in the
next wip just to diversify a bit, and maybe some screens. Ideas still
fluctuating.

> To my eye, the background mountains could use a big fog boost for added
> atmospheric perspective (maybe by moving them way back and scaling larger?). I
> think that would really help to sell the size and distance. And the same, to a
> lesser degree, for the midground mountain and forest across the water, so the
> shadows are more desaturated (and the foreground more so by comparison). Some
> ground fog might be nice too, especially over the water.

Except for the mountains to the far right/back, this is just one
height_field so moving/scaling is not practical in this case. At this
moment there is a (ground) fog present for the distance, but rather
thin, and it can certainly be improved, also with an additional one
close to the water. Another idea I want to pursue is a thin cloud
halfway the background mountains.

> I'm curious what you're using to light this scene. Are you using radiosity, or
> just ambient sky_sphere/light with straight ray-tracing?

Very straightforward in fact, a sphere as sky_sphere (with emission 1
and diffuse 0), one light, and using radiosity of course:

#include "CIE.inc"
#declare SunColor     = Blackbody(6500)*2;
#declare SunPosition  = <0, 0, -2>*10e4;
#declare SunDis       = vlength(SunPosition)*2/215;
#declare Sun_alt      = 50;
#declare Sun_azm      = -110;

#if (Area)
   light_source {